would have thought that the train that pulled into
Clevedon carrying a load of wood and sheet iron
was launching more that a hundred years of worship
and service to Christ in Clevedon?
At that time Clevedon
had developed into a wealthy Victorian town that stretched
a long way from the old fishing village at the West
End. Some of the townspeople were served by the new
churches of Christchurch and St Johns but those
still living in the old parish of St Andrews
could have a long walk to church.
They heard of a redundant
school chapel in Margate, Kent which they decided
to purchase. It had corrugated iron walls and roof
and came complete with pews and stained glass windows.
It was dismantled and brought by train to Clevedon
and placed on a site at the other end of the parish.
The church was opened on May 9th 1899 by the Bishop
of Bath and Wells. It was named after Andrews
brother and became St Peters.
The church congregation
grew in numbers and was soon busier than the main
Parish church. It had a thriving life in the early
years of this century. Dame Violet Wills provided
the money for a new permanent church which was built
alongside the old one in Alexandra Road, forty years
This modern, light
church has continued to develop. In 1984 it became
the home of Clevedon United Reformed Church, who came
to share the building with the Anglican Congregation.
In 1995 St Peters became a parish in its own
The church was
used by the BBC for scenes in an episode of 'Silent
Witness' shown early in 2001.